Mon, Jan 10, 2022 8:49 AM

Asbestos found at Motueka fire

Sara Hollyman

A fire broke out in Motueka this morning leaving a call for people in the near vicinity to stay inside their homes.

Fire and Emergency NZ were called to the fire on King Edward Street at around 4.30am Monday morning.

Asbestos was found in the building and a lot of smoke has been drifting around the Motueka area.

14 fire trucks and support vehicles, including a command unit, responded to fight the fire.

Firefighters are currently still on scene dampening the site down and mopping up.

People in the immediate area are asked to stay indoors, away from the smoke with their windows and doors closed.

If you need medical advice call healthline on 0800 611 116. If there is ash found on and around your property, wash it away.

If there is any washing outside this should be rewashed as a precaution.